Wednesday 18 February 2015

Speaking hairdresser.


Over the years I have heard some utterly crazy explanations of what a client may want or not want with the colour of their hair. So I thought a lovely post on my tips for speaking the language of hair colours to your stylist was in order.

At first, when I was a newbie to the world of hair colouring I listened to my clients explanation and rolled with it at the end of the service the client would say, well that's not what I wanted, I used to think well that's what you asked for??


My top tips,
#1   The consultation is crucial, without making the stylist run over into someone else's appointment you should spend a good bit of time talking about your desired colour.

#2   When explaining what you would like, use describing words such as warm and cool. You could even use objects to describe the colour, you may say as vibrant as post box red, or champagne blonde.

#3   There seems to be a misconception that pictures are hated by hairdressers, NO we love them. It's the easiest way to show off how exactly you would like your new look, then the stylist can offer you advise on how to adapt it to suit you. One tip when using a picture is to cover the models face, then look at the style, often people, including myself want the models face, body, clothes and make up as well as the hair.

#4   When phoning for your appointment make sure you have told them the correct service you require, *for example foils, is it full head half head or just your crown and parting area.**
 If unsure ask for a quick word with your stylist when he/she is free. Alternatively book a quick consultation at the salon to talk about any concerns or to make sure both you and the stylist know exactly what service is required, how long it will take and the price.
Doing a ombré look on somebody can take several hours where as a root touch up using a tint can take half an hour.


#5  Remember your stylist is not magic, sometimes your hair may not physically take a big transformation, due to condition or could take several weeks or months to achieve that kind of drastic result.

I hope I have not baffled you and given some of my tips for being fluent in the language of hair colouring.
The List

No comments:

Post a Comment